Tuesday, December 18, 2012

I see love/

Photography is so much of the time merely a projection. Does that make sense? What I mean is that when I take pictures of things in houses, I tend to see something more in them. On a psychological level, it could be more about me than it is about the person whose home it is. Hopefully it's about both of us. I have been thinking about this a lot with all the editing I have been doing for the European book (really need to figure out a title!). This image is the perfect example, although not from the book. It is from Věra Janoušková's atelier in Prague. It seems innocuous - a bookshelf with some pipes. But I saw this and I saw love. I had seen a couple of photographs of Vera's husband sitting around smoking pipes. It is clear that these were his, but he passed away years ago, so clearly she kept them beyond their "use". So to me they were a symbol of her love for her husband. How much of this is about me and how much is about Vera? I honestly have no idea...

2 comments: